A Speech and Language Therapist (SALT) is certified to work with children, young people and adults who have some type of communication disorder. It is often thought that a Speech and Language Therapist is simply able to assist with precise speech manufacturing issues, however actually the range of companies is far wider.
What does a Speech and Language Therapist do?
A therapist working with children and younger individuals will initially assess both comprehension (understanding of language) and expressive language (how language is used).
The Therapist will take a look at numerous areas the place difficulties may occur including:
* Vocabulary – types of words akin to nouns (naming words), verbs (actions) and prepositions (in, on, under etc.)
* Understanding language buildings similar to following directions – eg. “brush dolly’s hair”, “give me the yellow pencil”
Spoken language may be assessed for the following:
* Speech sounds – usually termed phonology. The child or younger individual could not have certain speech sounds in their vocabulary, or could use them inappropriately eg. “dog” turns into “dod” (termed fronting) or “glove” turns into “glub” (termed stopping)
* Articulation difficulties – the manufacturing of speech sounds may be troublesome, presumably resulting from a bodily downside comparable to cleft lip/palate or poor dentition or even a co-orindation downside – Dyspraxia
* Fluency – is there any evidence of dysfluency (stammering) or normal hesitancy in speech
What could be accomplished if the child/younger person has little or no speech?
Language is just not only the spoken word however can embrace speaking by numerous alternative methods. Among the more common ways are:
* Symbol systems – a easy line drawing is used to symbolize an object or idea eg. Makaton, Rebus, Queens reading tutoring NY Mayer Johnson
* Photos/photograph methods – precise footage or photographs are used to indicate objects, actions etc.
* Signing systems – include British Sign Language (BSL) and Makaton. These programs use guide signs to convey that means
* Eye pointing – by using a particular board with symbols or footage, it is doable for a mother or father or carer to interpret what the child/younger person wants to communicate by following their eye gaze till it stops on the merchandise they want. This will be helpful for children or young people who have physical difficulties and no speech.
* Communication aids – these can range from easy picture boards to advanced computer systems with voice synthesizers
What different aspects of communication are assessed?
Other areas which Speech and Language Therapists would possibly have a look at and which underpin communication are:
Listening and a focus abilities/focus – can the child or young particular person attend to a task? Not to be confused with a hearing impairment – the child or younger person could hear what is said but can not concentrate sufficiently to process the data
Play and that imagination – can the child play alone, alongside others (parallel play) or take part in group play? Is imaginative play current ? eg. placing doll to bed, fake tea events
Social communication – can the child or young particular person interact with others? Do they understand the rules of conversation, reminiscent of flip taking, repairing conversations, keeping on subject and applicable greetings?
Practical use of language – can the child/young person use no matter system of communication is appropriate to them to make choices, touch upon occasions, query or refuse?
Behaviour – an lack of ability to speak could be very frustrating for the child/younger person and should result in agitated or challenging behaviour patterns.
How does the Speech and Language Therapist carry out the assessment?
The Speech and Language Therapist will look at all areas in which the child/younger particular person is experiencing difficulty.
* This could embody commentary or direct working with them in various settings, such as the home, school or college.
* Liaison with individuals who come into frequent contact with the child/younger individual can also be very important. As well as mother and father, lecturers, carers, other health professionals etc. may be consulted.
What occurs after assessment?
After a radical evaluation, therapy options are mentioned which could embrace one or more of the following options:
– Direct therapy – the therapist working with the child/younger particular person on a 1:1 foundation
– Indirect therapy – a programme of labor is carried out by a named person eg parent, carer, teaching assistant beneath the steerage of a Speech and Language Therapist who monitors progress and evaluations the programme as vital
– Adjustments to communicative setting eg. making certain an appropriate symbols system is used in the home/classroom etc., advising on effective communication and training staff easy methods to use alternative strategies of communication
Is the Speech and Language Therapist qualified?
All Speech and Language Therapists can have undertaken a three or 4 yr degree course at university. Some therapists might have accomplished a post graduate course after following a earlier degree. Candidates require three A ranges to enter the course, though mature students may be accepted with equivalent qualifications.